South Africa, with effect from June 1, 2020 will move to alert level 3 of its risk-adjusted strategy to manage the spread of COVID-19, the President, Cyril Ramaphosa announced in a broadcast address.
Ramaphosa said this descaling applied to the whole country including areas that had been declared coronavirus hotspots including Johannesburg, Tshwane, eThekwini, Ekurhuleni, Nelson Mandela Bay, Buffalo City, Cape Town, and the West Coast district municipality, Overberg district municipality, Cape Winelands district municipality, Chris Hani district municipality in the Eastern Cape as well as the iLembe district municipality in KwaZulu-Natal.
“These areas will be reviewed every two weeks and will most-probably see more stringent movement restrictions compared to other parts of South Africa,” he added.
The President also said that during this level, all sectors of the economy would be allowed to reopen excluding high-risk activity areas like restaurants, bars and taverns with the exception of delivery or collection of food, accommodation and domestic air travel, with the exception of business travel, which will be phased in on dates to be announced.
Conferences, events, entertainment and sporting activities, as well as personal care services, including hairdressing and beauty services will also remain prohibited.
The sale of alcohol, for home consumption, will be allowed in level three while the selling of smoking products, including cigarettes will remain prohibited.
Borders will also remain closed.